5 Amazing Treehouse Hotels
All around the globe hotels are pushing the envelope to create architectural wonders in the trees that provide the type of solitude everyone dreams of — the adventure we seek with the high end amenities we crave.
Maybe you were the cool kid on the block that had one or were lucky enough to have a buddy with one — a treehouse. Today the tree forts of your childhood are best left in the past. The treehouses for adults however are a must for your list of places to go. We're talking luxury rooms in the sky where you can play, rest, eat, drink and sleep — no flashlights, peanut butter sandwiches or moms calling after you. All around the globe hotels are pushing the envelope to create architectural wonders in the trees that provide the type of solitude everyone dreams of — the adventure we seek with the high end amenities we crave.
1. Ariaiu Amazon Rainforest Towers (Brazil): When you want to stay in a treehouse, do it right... in the Amazon! These trees were made for building within and the views you'll take in from the room or the observation tower will stay with you forever. This is the rainforest after all so prepare yourself to see plants, flowers, birds and animals you've never even seen in books (including the famous pink river dolphins). Located about a half an hour outside of the city of Manaus in the heart of the rainforest, this is a real getaway. Check out their hotel stay packages to add alligator, jungle or fishing tours to your trip.
2. Tranquil Resort (India): Saying that you're tucked away in a Gul Mohr Tree (actually this treehouse room sprawls three Gul Mohrs) already proves you've traveled far from home. Add 35 feet of air between the ground and your bed, a 500+ square feet abode and a view of the hotel's sprawling estate and you've got a little nugget of heaven.
3. Costa Rica Treehouse Hotel: Just because you're staying in a tree doesn't mean you're short on luxury. From jacuzzis to iPod docks, the Costa Rica Treehouse Hotel has it all. With options to fit your family or just your loved one, shack up in their jungle trees for a stay in a sustainable place that offers a plethora of activities should you ever wish to descend from your tree. Oh, and keep your eyes peeled for sloths within the Gandoca-Manzanillo Wildlife Refuge that surrounds you!
4. Kadir Treehouse Hotel (Turkey): If you're into all things rustic, this is the treehouse hotel for you. In the ancient Turkish city of Olympos, this treehouse hotel acts as part commune for travelers with plenty of tasty vegetarian good eats and part hotel in the sky.
5. Maravu Plantation (Fiji): Located on Taveuni Island which is only about ten kilometers across and 40-some kilometers long, this hotel boasts stunning views of it all, from the turquoise waters of the ocean all around to the beauty of the Bouma National Heritage Park. This is a stay for the luxury-chasers. Take advantage of the hotel's world class spa as well as your room's open air shower and jacuzzi. Visit the Volcano Lake or sip wine from the most extensive list you'll find in Fiji. Escapism at its best.