5 of the World's Coolest Eco-Friendly Boutique Hotels
Sure most hotels these days like to act like they’re green by asking you not to have your towels washed every day, but in the world of true eco-friendly accommodation, hotels need to pull off a lot more than an apprehension to laundry to be labeled green. But for some boutique hotels around the globe, they earn the ever-coveted green label by treating the earth as well as their guests. Alas the following five chic boutique hotels are not only green but, cool as hell too.
1. Amara Selous: Selous Game Reserve, Tanzania. Stay in the middle of the largest game reserve in Africa. This World Heritage Site only houses 12 parties at a time making for an intimate stay that borders between a safari-esque feel and top of the line luxury in the middle of the bush. Powered by solar energy and using its own recycled water, the hotel is as sustainable as one could imagine for being in the middle of a game reserve. But here going green doesn’t mean skimping on glam — suites include hot tubs, the hotel offers a state-of-the-art spa and incredible service. If you can tear yourself out of your suite, enjoy one of the inspirational walks and see just how many wild animals you can spot.
2. Can Rigall: Pyrenées/Languedoc, France. One of Europe’s most eco-friendly boutique hotels, Can Rigall provides 70 percent of its energy from renewable sources such as a windmill, solar energy and biodiesel. Only accommodating a maximum of 24 guests at a time, if you're lucky enough to be one of those few, you’ll be treated like a king or queen and the view you’ll take in of the south of France’s greatest offerings will ensure you, that you are (as long as you’re staying here that is).
3. Barbialla Nuova: Tuscany, Italy. The fact that the 500 hectare land surrounding this hotel is an organic farm should be sign enough that this is eco-friendly at its best. In his family for hundreds of years, owner Guido Manfredi Rasponi decided to turn the land into a “eco-friendly agriturismo” and host guests within seven special apartments. All apartments provide stunning views of the organic farmland quintessential to Tuscany. Be warned that this is no place for TV and they don’t even have one here, but you won’t miss it. This is la bella vita.
4. Galapagos Safari Camp: Ecuador. Staying in the Galapagos Islands pretty much already means a green escape. The hotel provides eight luxury tents for guests in this beautiful surrounding where only 3 percent is inhabited. These islands are known for being a sanctuary to rare species on and off land and those who visit tend to be of the greenest mindset. And so, the Safari Camp is the perfect place for the ultra green but if you're not quite there yet, you'll be just as welcomed. This is still the perfect place for green novices who are just happy to say their vacay was earth-friendly.
5. Cuixmala: Jalisco, Mexico. Twenty-five thousand acres of private estate provide the land for this eco-friendly luxury hotel. And the coolest part of that 25,000 acres is a private nature reserve where guests can spot zebras, jaguars, rare birds (over 270 species), crocodiles and antelopes. The land also runs a turtle conservation and guests can help baby turtles return to the sea. After you save a life you can chill in the ultra-luxe pool and indulge in the perfect weather.