Drinking In... La Paz, Mexico
La Paz, located on the Sea of Cortez in Baja California Sur, Mexico is the ideal locale for the beach lover who likes more tranquility than the club beats of Cabo. La Paz is a much more sleepy town than neighboring party-central Cabo but there are still plenty of bars and clubs to haunt.
Here’ are our top drinking excursion picks when in La Paz, Mexico.
1. CostaBaja. Head out of town just ten minutes south for a round of golf overlooking the Sea of Cortez and celebrate your swinging abilities on the turf with freshly muddled mojitos, pina coladas and margaritas at the Golf Club. At sunset, grab a drink the resort’s Beach Club Bar and watch the sun sink in brilliant orange and pink hues. If you’re a tequila lover, stop by, quite possibly, the world’s largest tequila collection of over 400 bottles at Steinbeck’s.
2. Las Tres Virgenes. This Mexican fusion restaurant headed up by Chef Jesus Chavez Partida serves up fresh sea-to-table wood-fired tapas like grilled octopus and local fish and pairs them with elegant cocktails. Fresh squeezed juice is an understatement here. If you order the Martini de Naranjita, they’ll climb the courtyard’s fruit tree in front of your eyes to harvest the citrus for your drink on the spot. Make sure to try all their other chef-created cocktails like the Three Virgins Martini of tamarind, vodka and chamoy pepper.
3. Tequilas Bar. If you’re looking for the Old Mexico, rustic charm, this is the spot, albeit a bit touristy. It’s a great place to start off your night with margaritas and antojitos (Mexican snacks).
4. El Perico Marinero. Right across the street from Tequilas, head to Perico Marinero if you like to hear local bands. It's a no thrills bar but famous for their Clamato's (Bloody Mary with clam juice).
5. La Casa De Villa - This club is where the beautiful people hang out. Open from Thursday through Sunday, the best day (most crowded is Saturday. It's best to order a bottle service if you want to secure a table. La Paz is a beach town but do not come in your sandals or tank tops to Casa de Villa or you won’t be let in. Drink martinis of any kind here, they have an extensive cocktail menu.
6. Las Varitas. Like to groove to Latin rock? Head to the oldest club in the city, dedicated almost entirely to Latin music. Friday night is ladies' night. Guys, you’re not invited to join in the fun until after 11 pm. Because Las Veritas stays open the latest of the clubs (sunrise), make this your last stop of the night.
When the sun comes up after your night of play in La Paz, Mexico head out on a boat excursion to Isla Espirito Santos with Baja Fun to snorkel with sea lions, manta rays, whale sharks and dolphins. Baja's La Paz delivers a sizzling scene at night and by day, unforgettable encounters with marine life.