Drinking In... Niterói
Looking out across the sparkling waters lining the stretch of Rio de Janeiro appears to be a mirror image of the city. It's as if Rio continues on forever, even across those waters. But it's a mirage. The mirror image city is actually Niterói and it's only a quick ferry ride away. With a population of just under half a million, easy access to Rio and its classification of being Brazil's richest city, Niterói hosts its own nightlife full of fun and adventure. And while most tourists never leave the city of Rio, Niterói is absolutely worthy of exploration. So pop on that ferry the next time you're in Rio and check out the other side of paradise. Here are five killer bars to give you a true taste of Niterói.
1. The Way has a full calendar of events that include themes, live music and hot DJs. Mixology is on the menu here, in other words, the bartenders are adventurous but even so, nothing beats a classic caipirinha. Its modern and sleek decor ain't got nothing on the beautiful clientele. Locals adore "White Night" where they dress in all white. But if you want to go on this night, work on your tan first.
2. São Nunca like The Way has plenty of reasons to hit up its bar like DJs and drink specials. That and its perfect location on Icaraí Beach make this a must-stop in your night out in Niterói. As for what to drink, locals love their million versions of the caipirinha like the caprisake, but the Cuba Libre is just as popular here.
3. Bar do Meio boasts live music, DJs, samba nights and that classic Brazilian social atmosphere that promotes everyone being instant best friends.
4. Bistro MAC is by far the most recognizable of all places in the city being that it's a part of the architectural wonder of the Museum of Contemporary Art designed by famed Brazilian architect Oscar Niemeyer (seen above). Hit this place up early as it's not a late night joint but even so, making a visit here is an absolute must and ensure your camera is ready because the views are to die for.
5. Candogueiros is local Niterói at its best. Think crowds, think samba, think hot sticky nights, cold cocktails, entrancing beats and smiling Brazilians. Come here ready to mingle and dance and fear not, you can drink as much as you want because you'll dance and sweat it all out so bottoms up!