My 5 Favorite Things: Gary Curran of The Japanese Popstars
2012 has been a memorable year so far for Irish dance outfit The Japanese Popstars. They opened and remixed two songs for Orbital, played the mainstage at Creamfields, Global Gathering, Bestival, Reading and Leeds among others, and also remixed Elbow’s BBC Olympic anthem "First Step." The lads also wrote the theme song to Formula One team Caterham’s 2012 season (they even got their likeness plastered on a F1 car!) and released dance floor stormer "Matter of Time" featuring Chicago house legend Green Velvet. The group's Gary Curran took time out and shared his five favorite things with us.
1. Music: I know it is very cliché to say that, but for me it has brought many joys in to my life, and I have it to thank for many things. I am extremely lucky and very privileged to have what started off as a past time now as a career. It has also allowed me to see lots of breathtaking sites in various cities across the world and meet many amazing people people involved in the industry. Plus, I have made many new friends.
2. Skype: It has been a godsend for staying in touch with people, especially my girlfriend Jenna as she is American. It is also now a priceless studio tool.
3. My dog Norton: I had never had a pet until this last year and I am quite surprised that I became so attached, as normally I am allergic to most animals, but not Norton. Jenna and I got him from a rescue shelter. I miss him every time I go away to gigs.
4. Football (Soccer): I love my football and I still try to attempt to play in my local Sunday Morning League with my friends, when I do not have a gig. It's not pretty.
5. Movies and documentaries: I love all kinds of movies and love going to see movies in the cinema. I especially like music documentaries. Both tend to relax and chill me out and can some times put me to sleep.
The Japanese Popstars feat. Green Velvet's "Matter of Time" with a remix by Sister Bliss is out now on Gung-Ho! Recordings