My 5 Favorite Things: Stephanie Franzius
Describing her style of design as "feminine [and] elegant with a certain edge," Berlin-based fashion designer Stephanie Franzius has carved out her own niche with seasonal collections that embrace both femininity and strength. Her sophisticated designs are conceptual and wholly wearable at the same time. Think knitwear, capes, flowing fabrics for tops and dresses and intricate design that celebrates the female form. Each collection is marked by an artful look-book of photography that is as eye-catching as the designs being showcased.
Franzius has led an international fashion career that has taken her from her hometown of Berlin to New York, Amsterdam, Milan and back again to Germany. She's worked with Viktor & Rolf and Anne Klein, but these days her attention is focused on her own line that bears her last name. We spoke with the Berliner to find out her five favorite things.
1. Material to design with: Silk in all kind of forms... Crepe de chine, chiffon, satin, habotai, etc… It wraps the feminine silhouette softly, is a high-class natural material and is elegant. It's all I need for a beautiful dress.
2. Wardrobe accessory: The Franzius oversize hopscotch leatherbag, you can dress it up or wear it casually, it is the perfect bag to show your good taste in design.
3. Outfit for a night out: A sophisticated Franzius silktop, with a elegant back decolletee over a classic black wool pants, combined with my favourite high heel wedges and the hopscotch bag of course!
4. Neighborhood in Berlin: Mitte. It's like a village, very familial atmosphere in a big spread out city like Berlin. I meet my friends on the street, it has great yoga studios and cafes. People I like live and work there.
5. Club: King Size Bar and Le Chat gris. [Each has a] small, intimate crowd.