My 5 Favorite Things: Munchi
Rotterdam's Munchi, whose "Este Noche" appears on Azealia Banks' Fantasea mixtape, is known for big hair and even bigger beats. This weekend he's going to bring his party poppin' brand of moombataon to Mad Decent Block Party Los Angeles. We caught up with this Dutch beatmaster of Dominican descent before heading stateside to find out five of his favorite things.
1. My Mom's food. Kapsalon. Kapsalon is a dish only available here in Rotterdam. It contains kebab and french fries in a aluminium foil container, which is grilled with two slices of gouda cheese. When they take it out they add sriracha and garlic sauce,finishing it up with lettuce. Eat it sober and you will love it; eat it while you are drunk as fuck and you will devour it. This is the dish everyone gets after going to the clubs. Not to mention that I literally tell everyone I meet about this dish and/or take visitors to eat that shit. Shout out to Jaffa! Then we have my mom's food. Yes. There is nothing like it. Not only that, it's Dominican. Not only that it's spicy as fuck. Not only that: it adjusted me to my transition to being a vegetarian.
2. Beer. Kalimoxto. Yo. Beer is my shit. That sums up every aspect of life. Kalimoxto, too. That's that Basque 50/50 cola/cheap red wine fix. It's cheap as fuck and I don't even like those drinks on their own. What you know about that!?
3. Software. Acid Pro 5.0. Yes, this program from 2004 is still the shit. I don't give a fuck what anyone says: No, I don't wanna use Ableton, Logic, Pro Tools, Reason or whatever the fuck. Bow! All about Acid Pro 5.0, yo. Combine that with the biggest bottle of Presidente in my hand and I'm good to go.
4. Video game: Suikoden II/Mega Man X. Suikoden II — that's my shit. I still have that PS One that plays bootleg games and this was one of them. I downloaded that shit by accident. Played it for about five minutes and it fucking sucked. Almost threw it away because I was so pissed I couldn't Ken the fuck out on Street Fighter 3. Then later I tried again and that literally put everything on halt for a week. That game was so fucking intense, yo. That shit knocked Mega Man X from its throne out of nowhere. Mega Man X that is a whole other story. I played that game more times than I've slept, yo, since 1996. Then in the '90s, on a beautiful day in Puerto Plata, I managed to beat that fucking game. I was so happy about it that I bragged and ran the streets. Then I ran for my life while I got chased by a dog who wasn't having it.
5. Cartoon: Alfred J. Kwak/The Moomins. Yo, Alfred Joducus Kwak and The Moomins all day. White hippos and dutch ducks in this bitch!