My 5 Favorite Things: Brian Gorman
Since opening the first gay boutique hotel in the U.S., Lords South Beach, Brian Gorman has brought famously fun parties and vibrant design (hello giant polar bear!) to the Miami hotel scene. Known for discerning taste, he spoke to us about what he enjoys most in life.
1. Hero: My Father. My father taught me pretty much everything I know about design, architecture and hospitality. More importantly though, he taught me to take risks. To this day, I won’t let my fear of taking risks stop me from achieving my dreams. May seem cliché, but it’s true.
2. Favorite Party: Lords Shhh Penthouse Parties. In my opinion, the best parties are ones with a really interesting mix of guests. Although I love hanging out with my close friends, I also totally enjoy meeting new people, from all walks of life. The Lords Shhh Penthouse Parties are just super fun… it’s the people that makes a great party.
3. Indulgence: Fashion. People sometimes comment that I’m overdressed. I don’t think there’s such a thing. I just love fashion. I love that it allows you to express yourself and be comfortable with who you are.
4. Action: Supporting LGBT charities. I am a firm believer in giving back to the community that supports me. I get involved with as many LGBT organizations as possible. At the moment, the initiative that makes me the most proud is one I started at Lords South Beach — our Rooms That Matter program, in which we donate 10% of proceeds of select rooms to our charitable partners. In just one year, we’ve contributed over $10,000 in charitable contributions from this program alone.
5. Vacation: Home. Nothing beats going to home to NYC, to my family and three best friends – Victor, Danielle, and Boudiour. The energy of the city and the people is like no other. With that said though, I do feel pretty lucky to live and work in such a fabulous and dynamic destination as Miami.