My 5 Favorite Things: David Rousseau
If anyone knows about the best spots in Miami, it's music video director David Rousseau. With his company Creative Seen, he's become of the hottest local names for exotic, high-gloss, high-energy productions for artists like Pitbull, Enrique Iglesias, Lil' Wayne, and almost anyone who passes through the 305 to film. Here are five of his favorite places around town to go before, during, and after a shoot.
1. Wal-Mart, gas stations, and convenience stores: I tell people, "In what other city will you find beautiful women at 3 amin Wal-Mart, buying candles?" Artists love shooting down here because whatever type of woman you like -- tall, black, Latin, blonde, brunette, curly hair -- you'll find at any time. We find them anywhere: coming out of a gas station or 7-11, and they're women who aren't necessarily in the industry, but are just regular girls.
2. Little Havana: People will shout at you out their windows or come down to see what you're doing and offer you something to eat or some Cuban coffee. You alway know that when you shoot there, it's going to be a good time and you're going to be taken care of. They'll let you park on their lawn or make you coffee or whip up a soup.
3. Little Haiti: You get so many colors. Yellow is a big color in Little Haiti. The best thing about these neighborhoods in Miami is that they're so authentic -- you could be shooting in Haiti itself. You need 100 Haitian extras, they're right there. You don't need to call a casting agency.
4. Vizcaya Museum and Gardens: That's a dream location for me to shoot. It's one of those landmarks, and looks nothing like you'd expect something in Miami to look. It would be an amazing place to shoot a video for Janet Jackson, Lady Gaga, or even Lenny Kravitz, who are all artists I would love to work with.
5. La Baguette: It's a late-night sandwich shop off Brickell, and that's an interesting neighborhood. Sometimes we'll head down there after a shoot, and you never know what you're going to get. Maybe some guy will ask you for money, and you'll buy him a beer and end up hanging out until the place closes. Then some other lady might come by and dance for you at 4 am. It's part restaurant, part drive-in entertainment.