My 5 Favorite Things: Desi Santiago
In perhaps one of the biggest endeavors taking place during Miami Art Week, New York-based visual and performance artist Desi Santiago is transforming Lords South Beach into a building-sized work of art. Perrier presents: The Black Lords by Desi Santiago at Lords South Beach created in association with BOFFO will undoubtedly be regarded as one of the most extravagent and breathtaking works of public art ever seen, with Santiago reimagining the South Beach hotel into a sinister black dog named Gypsy that often appears throughout Santiago's acclaimed work. The Black Lords will metamorphosize the hotel into a gargantuan dog featuring menacing paws and a whipping tail. The installation is also interactive: guests will be able to have their fortune told by Gypsy through her laser eyes, smoke, and sounds of her running, panting and barking. Santiago clearly has a unique and dark sensibility — that's why we had to find out his five favorite things.
1. Movie: Santa Sangre. I find Alejandro Jodorowsky's film to be stunning and perfect as an embodiment of an artist's vision and philosophies executed as a dark technicolor fantasy.
2. Animal: Black Dog (of course). The black dog represents protection as well as menace. I have memories of horror films like The Omen, Cujo and Devildog: The Hound of Hell which elevated the normal, domesticated animal into a supernatural god-like creature. Definitely a large influence on me.
3. City to visit: Tokyo. This city and its culture are amazing. Extremely polite, organized and efficient. These characteristics mixed with an outrageous and forward sense of style are an onslaught on the senses. There is so much to digest it can be overwhelming and exciting.
4. Vacation: Culebra, Puerto Rico. During the off-season, you have the most beautiful white sand beaches and underwater life to yourself. It feels like a deserted island.
5. Dessert: Pasteis de Nata. Portuguese custard cups that make me crazy.
Perrier presents The Black Lords by Desi Santiago takes place at Lords South Beach December 3-9.
Image by Matthu Placek