My 5 Favorite Things: Matthew Chevallard
The story of Matthew Chevallard's ascent to the helm of Del Toro Shoes goes like this: Seven years ago, when he and his boarding school buddies were prepping for graduation, they wanted more than caps and gowns to commemorate their experience. The idea to rock velvet lounge slippers emblazoned with their school's logo struck them, but they soon learned that such a request would take months to fill and likely fall short of their expectations. So, instead of settling for sub-par slippers, they decided to make their own.
Today, Del Toro shoes has expanded to include Oxfords, boots, sneakers and women's styles, all handmade in Italy. From his Wynwood office, Chevallard works as the brand's creative director, conceiving new shoes and accessories for Del Toro's ever-growing throng of style conscious consumers. A Miami flagship scheduled to open in late fall and an upcoming collaboration with Theophilus London are among projects currently keeping him busy. He recently took some time to share with us his five favorite things.
1. Art: I'm a contemporary art and street art fan.
2. My girlfriend, Jacqueline: She's getting her masters in psychology to be a psychologist. She's beautiful and incredibly sweet, intelligent and kind.
3. The Del Toro lifestyle and the accessories and shoes I design: Del Toro is a fusion of Italian elegance, American prep, and NY/Japanese streetwear.
4. Cooking and food -- Italian and Japanese dishes, specifically.
5. My dog, Funyun: She's a six year-old yellow Labrador.