My 5 Favorite Things: Miami Magazine's Luis Rigual
As editor-in-chief of Miami magazine, Luis Rigual is a true Miami tastemaker. The luxury lifestyle glossy is redefining what it means to be a resident or visitor of the ever-evolving Magic City with sharp editorial on the latest and greatest happenings in town, and entire issues devoted to wellness, the city's influential men, and the current May/June issue on travel. While its content revolves around living the good life — fashion, dining and events — the publication is deeply embedded in Miami's cultural and philanthropic communities. Rigual dishes on the Miami lifestyle, his favorite travel destination and what's on the city's horizon.
1. The Miami lifestyle: Look around, what isn't there to love? I hate being cliche, but our winter weather is like winning the real estate lottery. Try spending a January in New York and get back to me.
2. Annual event: It's a tie between Art Basel Miami Beach in December and South Beach Wine and Food Festival in February.
3. The next big thing in Miami: All eyes are on the SLS Hotel South Beach, including mine.
4. Travel destination: Ho Chi Minh City in Vietnam, where I went last fall. You haven't lived until you've seen old Saigon on the back of a Vespa during rush hour traffic — it's culture shock of the coolest kind.
5. Ideal weekend: A Saturday night in which I have no social obligations for work. On Sundays I enjoy brunch at Makoto or La Goulue at the Bal Harbour shops followed by an early movie and Mad Men.