My 5 Favorite Things: Ben Towill
Ben Towill (pictured right) and Phil Winser have taken New York City's nightlife and dining scene by storm. The two once-broke schoolmates had a dream to bring their paddock-to-plate philosophy and rustic DIY English charm to the New York culinary landscape and won it over with their "imperfectly perfect" method.
The pair behind the stylish downtown eatery, The Fat Radish and creative events agency Silkstone have become the caterers of choice for New York's social elite. Silkstone is the product of the two; Towill the chef, and Winser the event planner. Together they create, design and conceptualize with effortless and improvised style. With their talents, plus a little bit of good luck, good timing and of course good looks to match, Towill and Winser now bring their British cool to private parties and events, weddings and Montauk summer hotspot Ruschmeyer’s.
The next serving? A cocktail and oyster bar, which has tongues of New York's social circuits already wagging. Here we talk to Towill about his five favorite things:
1. Cocktail: Cucumber Gin and Tonic. We serve one at The Fat Radish. It's topped with freshly ground black pepper and it’s very refreshing.
2. Watering hole: Henry Public in Brooklyn Heights. They have a greatest bartender named Mar, who knows exactly what you want to drink, and they also have an amazing burger.
3. Clothing shop: Steven Alan for his well-made and simple clothes.
4. Holiday Destination: The middle of nowhere, at a place called Parque Pumalin in Patagonia, Chile. I was here a few months ago hiking and exploring. It's the complete opposite of my life in New York. They practice a philosophy called Deep Ecology, which is fascinating.
5. Music festival: The Secret Garden Party, which takes place annually in England. They've had some amazing large-scale art pieces and musical acts, and the whole weekend experience is so much more than just a music festival.
Image via SousStyle