My 5 Favorite Things: Nur Khan
If you know anything about New York City nightlife, then you most definitely have heard of Nur Khan. It is the name linked to the best and most exclusive clubs and parties in the concrete jungle. His former ventures include Rose Bar, Hiro, Kenmare and the revamped Don Hill's, and he is currently the man behind the scene at The Electric Room at the Dream Downtown. The intimate venue holds only 100 patrons, with a full-service bar serving up specialty cocktails and high-end spirits. The hot spot debuted during Fashion Week in fall 2011, where revelers could spot a bevvy of celebrities, including Courtney Love, Adrien Grenier and not to mention countless models milling about.
Currently Nur is working on a concert for Global Poverty in Central Park on September 29 on the Great lawn for 60,000 people. Keep your eye out for anything Nur's got his claws into, because you might just miss it before you even have the chance to blink. But Mr. Khan isn't so elusive that he was able to escape chatting with us about his five favorite things.
1. Nightclub: The Electric Room in New York City below the Dream Downtown. It has got a very "cool Brittania" sensibility to it. It is intimate, geared to the musically literate, and has such a good vibe to it.
2. Bar: Same…The Electric Room. It's my baby, so that is where I hang out. I like to hang in my own places; it is like being in my own loft party with my own playlist, and I know I'll never hear a bad song. Also, my other bar in Los Angeles, The Writers Room. It is great and has authentic old-school Hollywood character.
3. Vacation spot: Hmm... It used to be Bali, but now it is being completely overdeveloped. I like a little spot called Coqui Coqui in Tulum for an easy getaway. I also spent almost a year in the mountains in China with the Shaolin Temple Warrior Monks. It is kung fu/martial arts for 12 hours a day married to Chan Buddhism. I don't know if you'd call it a vacation exactly, but it was the best experience of my life! I also love relaxing with friends in the English countryside and the fresh air.
4. Designer: I pretty much co-design most everything I wear. I wear a lot of John Varvatos; I like his rock 'n' roll sensibility, and him, as a person. I like Libertine's shirts and do not leave home without my Lazaro jewelry. We usually collaborate on pieces together to make them truly one of a kind.
5. Music: I am a music fanatic...so much to list…. Anything Jack White does, especially. He is so talented! His current solo project is amazing. He's got two separate bands: one all-female and one all-male. He mixes the shows and set lists up, so you don't know what to expect, and it is so nice because he plays everything. His new solo album, Blunderbuss, and then everything from his archives, from The White Stripes, The Raconteurs, the Dead Weather — such a great selection of music to choose from. The Black Keys, The Kills, The Clash, Iggy Pop….man, I could go on forever! I feel fortunate enough to have had all of these bands play in my bars or clubs (unfortunately except The Clash) for my Nur Khan sessions. Those shows were really special to me. Thanks to all who participated!