My 5 Favorite Things: Nutritious
DJ Nutritious returns to Ace Hotel on November 1 with his new party called Fetish Authentic. Taking place every Thursday from 8 pm to 2 am at one of the city's best hotels, Fetish Authentic will feature a night's worth of great tunes to soothe the soul. In advance of his new residency, we checked in with Nutritious (keep a look out for his two upcoming releases on SpinSpinNYC) and asked him to share his five favorite things.
1. Soundsystems: A DJ once explained how groups of deaf people began showing up to his monthly parties. The combination of deep house and well rounded sound system enabled them to feel the music and lose themselves in the dance. I bow to the roots of soundsystems in Jamaican party culture and their importance in the world of music as we know it today.
2. Fine Art: I collect art that my friends design. I go to galleries during my travels. Standing in front of Picasso’s “Guernica” in el Museo Reina Sofia in Madrid, Spain changed my life forever. It was larger than life. A few years later, I found myself steadily performing a Saturday night residency in a club by the same name in NYC’s Lower East Side. Today, I have a tattoo influenced by Picasso’s anti-war sentiment. There’s art in music, film, everywhere and it cultures our society — thank heaven people live in the name of creating and preserving it.
3. Water: While controversial and heavily criticized, Masaru Emoto’s adoration for the beauty of water is impeccable. He claims “Existence is vibration...The fact that everything is in a state of vibration also means that everything is creating sound.” Water is hugely responsible for the transmission of sound. I’m a ritualistic fan of the substance. Air, too. Also sunshine and moonlight.
4. Love: In all of its varied meanings, from the sensual to the sublime. The ability to love and expressions thereof give hope to the world and our existence. Gratitude, respect and admiration, tolerance and peace — all greatness emanates from love.
5. Parties: This goes without saying but socializing is amazing. Get out there and dance!